25 Aug 2011

Soooo, my first day at college

The buses decided to run on time today, resulting in me getting into town much earlier than I expected, but that gave me time to daudle around W.H.Smith and look at their books. I'm surprised at the number of books that I've had trouble finding in Waterstones; I'll vow that I'll check WHS first next time. I didn't have enough money for a book in the end, so I just got my lunch and headed to the college.

Most people scoff when they hear people say how much they think about gods or worship during their normal day to day lives; I was one of those people untill I realised that I'm basically thinking over Norse tales and about Loki or the others constantly. I spent the entire walk to the college eating the fruit salad I had bought and thinking about Idunna's golden apples as I munched on mine: what would Idunna's taste like? Would you feel the magick in them as you ate them? Would she like some apples left somewhere in offering? I don't worship her really, but I think she'd like them anyways.

I had hoped that I'd run into some people I knew for the inductions, and I spotted a familiar back and head of hair outside the doors, so I did the usual thing and ran up to them and kicked their bag (after, you know, checking that I was really them and not some random...cause that would be really awkward). So we chatted about school, results, how the group is being really bitchy lately, then we headed inside and went to our separate departments for our inductions. 

Two hours later - after a tour, discussing topics, looking at timetables - I headed into the town.
...Okay not true, I hung about for about half an hour, as I didn't know if it was just a break for lunch or if that was it. I gave up in the end THEN I went into town for a browse.

I headed into the local Pagan shop for a look; I hadn't thought about buying anything (I didn't have much) but I spotted a chunk of carnelian and a spiral metal pendant for holding rocks. I thought about that necklace that I dreamed about and decided, yes, I will buy and somehow make that for Loki.

And I did, and am wearing it now. It's a bit bland and doesn't have the beads like in the dream (I might add them on if I get some) but I really like it.
 I had been thinking for a while that my Mjölnir pendant wouldn't properly show that I belong to Loki, even thought I had bought one with a red gem, just for him. Thor's Hammer is considered a universal symbol for those of Norse Pagan beliefs, but people would assume that my god is Thor, and I wanted to find something that would be directly linked to him. 

I've always linked carnelian stones to Loki (no idea why) and I've decorated his alter in them; at the shop, I didn't look at all the stones on offer, I just immediately zoned in on them out of all the others.

Update:
After typing that last paragraph, I decided I would try and see if carnelian is linked to him or why I would think that (I do have a crystal handbook, but I couldn't even recite one of the stones out of it so i doubt it's something I read in there. I did check anyways, and it didn't say much).
I found this site which goes into detail about the properties of carnelian and it's said to help public speaking, give courage, linked to the root chakra, gives optimism and helps relieve stress, among other things. (I read it through going 'shiiiit, no wonder I got the Loki vibe off of it.')

I can't be far off the mark, as some other Lokeans, or those who worship within the Rökkr, have used carnelian in their ritual or dedication jewelry too. Could just be because they like the orange colour, which would suit them, or they feel the same as me. Either way, if more than one person is doing the same, then you must be doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment